460w x 60h (4) Gluten-Free Mall for Gluten-Free Foods

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Beef Rouladen and Spaetzle - gluten free/dairy free

I had a friend of mine and her husband over for dinner Sunday night. She's very supportive of my diet (as a matter of fact she was the first to convince me that Celiacs may be the cause of my digestive problems) so I was fairly comfortable asking them to taste my first attempt at GF/DF Spaetzle. Growing up Spaetzle was always the side dish accompanying Mom's Beef Rouladen so I made both (along with asparagus). What a mess!

Mom made making spaetzle look pretty easy but to be honest it isn't. I think I added a little too much water to the dough (which was pretty thick) so it dripped off the spoon in between me cutting the spaetzle off. I ended up with some pretty oddly shaped spaetzle (so odd, I didn't photograph them) and lots of angle hair thin short noodle pieces. They tasted great so I'm not deterred. I do want to perfect the recipe (and maybe even try them vegan) before posting it.


The rouladen wasn't as big a mess, although I did forget to add mustard until I was rolling the last one. Oh, how fun to have to unroll all of them and start over! Also, even if it does end up costing more, I will never again by a bottom roast and cut my own, I'll buy the meat sliced already.

Anyhow, dessert was delicious. I made Key Lime Squares (listed under Lemon Squares) from Gluten-Free Baking Classics. Next time I try these I think I'll add a little green food coloring (note to self: I need to buy green food coloring) as the Key Lime juice has a yellowish/brown color and so did the finished squares. They did taste great so being the wrong color wasn't too big of a set back!

4 comments:

Mary O said...

About adding green food coloring to key lime anything, there are some people who won't eat a green key lime pie because they know the true key lime is yellow. A green pie makes them wonder what else may be in it.

By the way, the best key lime pie ever has a mashed avocado in it. I tried this with a Florida avocado (much less fat than a haas).

Jason said...

hmmmm . . . interesting. Of course, I would be right there to answer any ingredient questions . . . then again, I'm not sure how I would get that lime green color anyway. Ah, things to ponder for the next time I try these!

Earthtonegirl said...

Did you ever perfect your spaetzle recipe? I'd love to see it! I'm GFCF too, and my fiance misses being able to cook spaetzle.

Zanne said...

Spaetzle was always made by my grandmother by dropping rounded tspfuls of batter into gently boiling water. Makes life much easier and the spaetzle is similar to gnocchi. If you make strands, you might as well buy spaghetti.

Visitors (Counted on Gluten Free/Dairy Free Waffles!)

free hit counter
600w x 110h Gluten-Free Mall for Gluten-Free Foods